Eimear Joyce recently joined Elmatica as Sales Operations Manager
How we treat FAR/DFARS compliance questions
To be compliant or not – that is the question to be asking. Saying yes we are is easy, proving and documenting it – is much harder.
At Elmatica we understand the challenge and recognize the importance of working diligently with compliance aspects. This week we were asked to share how we address FAR/DFARS compliance in small businesses and share some compliance tips, at the FSI seminar in Oslo.
Speakers at the seminar: Dave Ferrari, Barbara Michael, Laura Semple, Jay Peterson, Ove Norseth, Steve Knight, Lonnie Myklebust, Didrik Bech, Mark LoManto and Dave Kaplan.
Some of the questions we covered:
How to be organized to meet the FAR/DFARS compliance challenges?
What to prioritize in the compliance work? Why?
What policies and procedures do you need?
How to train employees in FAR/DFARS compliance?
A company supplying an article to a supply chain of a product purchased by the U.S. Department of Defence (DOD), must be aware of the strict compliance DOD place on all exports and imports. The consequences can be se
vere, there are no excuses and one cannot simply claim that one did not know, as it is your responsibility to know. Or in other words, plausible deniability does not work.
Sounds scary and a lot of work? It is, but not being compliant or taking the regulations seriously is even scarier. Compliance management in the defense industry can be the defining factor between financial success and costly mistakes.
A few compliance tips to get you started:
- Keep up to date on the rules and regulations. Don’t think you know all, involve your people and seek advice.
- Make sure you have a Local Champion, one that has the ultimate responsibility for compliance.
- Involve all departments in a Cross Department Task Force, making sure all involved employees are trained in identifying and handling FAR/DFARS articles.
- Customize your CRM so all systems are compliant on the right level.
- Restricted access. Make sure you only grant access to a minimum of people that is needed to handle FAR/DFARS articles.
- Ask the right question and communicate, communicate, communicate.
Another article by us about Defence Compliance Management.